- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, 1995
Major: Physiology of Exercise
Ph.D. Dissertation: The Effects of Exercise-Related Peptide F Elevation on Human B-Cell Activation
- M.S., Appalachian State University, 1989
Major: Exercise Science
- B.S., Wake Forest University, 1987
Major: Health & Sport Science
- Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Strength and Conditioning
- Neuromuscular and Endocrine Exercise Physiology
- Aging and Physical Activity
Current Courses Being Taught
- Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Strength and Conditioning (Graduate and Undergraduate level)
- Survey of Sport Performance (Graduate and Undergraduate level)
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians
- Certified Phlebotomist; General Venipuncture/Catheterization
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (Fellow)
- President-Elect, 2017-2018
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist with Distinction
- Southeastern Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine
- USA Weightlifting
- Certified Sports Performance Coach (formerly Club Coach)
- Resistance Training in Elderly:
- Strength and Power Development
- Balance and Functional Ability Improvements
- Bone and Muscle Tissue Adaptations
- Neuromuscular Aspects of Strength and Power
Books and Chapters in Books
- Triplett, N.T. and Lloyd, R.S. Power Training for Different Populations. NSCA’s Developing Power (M. McGuigan, ed.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp. 63-82, 2017.
- Triplett, N.T. and Stone, M.E. The Female Athlete. Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation: Integrating Science and Medicine for High Performance (D. Joyce and D. Lewindon, eds.), Routledge, Oxfordshire, UK, pp.429-435, 2016.
- Haff, G.G. and Triplett, N.T. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (editors). Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2016.
- Triplett, N.T. Structure and Function of Body Systems. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (G.G. Haff and N.T. Triplett, eds.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp. 1-18, 2016.
- Sheppard, J.M. and Triplett, N.T. Program Design for Resistance Training. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (G.G. Haff and N.T. Triplett, eds.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp.439-470, 2016.
Journal Articles (last 5 years)
1. Carroll KM, Sato K, Bazyler CD, Triplett NT, and Stone MH. Increases in variation of barbell kinematics are observed with increasing intensity in a graded back squat test. Sports 5(51), 2-7, 2017.
2. Carroll KM, Sato K, Beckham GK, Triplett NT, Griggs CV, and Stone MH. Relationship between concentric velocities at varying intensity in the back squat using a wireless inertial sensor. Journal of Trainology 6(1), 9-12, 2017.
3. Chapman M, Larumbe-Zabala E, Goss-Sampson M, Colpus M, Triplett NT, and Naclerio F. Perceptual, mechanical, and electromyographic responses to different relative loads in the parallel squat. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2017 (accepted February 2017).
4. Rice PE, Goodman CL, Capps CR, Triplett NT, Erickson TM, and McBride JM. Force- and power-time curve comparison during jumping between strength-matched male and female basketball players. European Journal of Sport Science 17(3), 286-293, 2017.
5. Caldwell KL, Bergman SM, Collier SR, Triplett NT, Quin R, Bergquist J, and Pieper CF. Effects of tai chi chuan on anxiety and sleep quality in young adults: Lessons from a randomized controlled feasibility study. Nature and Science of Sleep 8, 305-314, 2016.
6. South MA, Layne AS, Stuart CA, Triplett NT, Ramsey M, Howell ME, Sands WA, Mizuguchi S, Hornsby III WG, Kavanaugh AA, and Stone MH. Effects of short-term free-weight and semiblock periodization resistance training on metabolic syndrome. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(10), 2682-2696, 2016.
7. Borreani S, Calatayud J, Colado JC, Moya-Nájera D, Triplett NT, and Martin F. Muscle activation during push-ups performed in stable and unstable conditions. Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness 13(2), 94-98, 2015.
8. Naclerio F, Chapman M, Larumbe-Zabala E, Massey B, Neil A, and Triplett NT. Effects of three different conditioning activity volumes on the optimal recovery time for potentiation in college athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(9), 2579-2585, 2015.
9. Kijowski KN, Capps CR, Goodman CL, Erickson TM, Knorr DP, Triplett NT, Awelewa OO, and McBride JM. Short-term resistance and plyometric training improves eccentric phase kinetics in jumping. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(8), 2186-2196, 2015.
10. Kraemer WJ, Gordon SE, Fragala MS, Bush JA, Szivak TK, Flanagan SD, Hooper DR, Looney DP, Triplett NT, DuPont WH, Dziados JE, Marchitelli LJ, and Patton JF. The effects of exercise training programs on plasma concentrations of proenkephalin Peptide F and catecholamines. Peptides 64, 74-81, 2015.
11. Blatnik JA, Goodman CL, Capps CR, Awelewa OO, Triplett NT, Erickson TM, and McBride JM. Effect of load on peak power of the bar, body, and system during the deadlift. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 13(3), 511-515, 2014.
12. Borreani S, Colado JC, Calatayud J, Pablos C, Moya-Nájera D, and Triplett NT. Aquatic resistance training: Acute and chronic effects. Strength and Conditioning Journal 36(3), 48-61, 2014.
13. Colado JC, Garcia-Massó X, Triplett NT, Calatayud J, Flandez J, Behm D, and Rogers ME. Construct and concurrent validation of a new resistance intensity scale for exercise with Thera-Band® elastic bands. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 13(4), 758-766, 2014.
14. Shanely RA, Zwetsloot KA, Triplett NT, Meaney MP, Farris GE, and Nieman DC. Human skeletal muscle biopsy procedures using the modified Bergström technique. Journal of Visualized Experiments 91, e51812, 2014.
15. Calatayud J, Borreani S, Moya D, Colado JC, and Triplett NT. Exercise to improve bone mineral density. Strength and Conditioning Journal 35(5), 70-74, 2013.
16. Hardee JP, McBride JM, Utter AC, Triplett NT, and Lawrence MM. Effect of cluster set configurations on power clean technique. Journal of Sports Sciences 31(5), 488-496, 2013.
17. Hudgins B, Scharfenberg J, Triplett NT, and McBride JM. Relationship between jumping ability and running performance in events of varying distance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27 (3), 563-567, 2013.
18. Kraemer WJ, Fragala MS, Beijersbergen van Henegouwen WRH, Gordon SE, Bush JA, Volek JS, Triplett NT, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Flanagan SD, Hooper DR, Luk HY, and Mastro AM. Responses of proenkephalin Peptide F to aerobic exercise stress in the plasma and white blood cell biocompartments. Peptides 42 (4), 118-124, 2013.
19. Naclerio F, Faigenbaum AD, Larumbe-Zabala E, Perez-Bilbao T, Kang J, Ratamess NA, and Triplett NT. Effects of different resistance training volumes on strength and power in team sport athletes: A pilot study. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27 (7), 1832-1840, 2013.
Title: Professor, PhD, Physiology of Exercise, Exercise Science Undergraduate Program Director, Graduate Faculty
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7148
Fax: (828) 262-3138