Our mission is student-centered education
The mission of the Department of Health and Exercise Science (HES) is to deliver student-centered education that is accentuated by quality teaching, scholarly activity, and service. Although united by a common mission, each of the three interrelated academic units (Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Public Health) has its own distinct body of knowledge to achieve the following goals:
- provide undergraduate degrees in each discipline;
- provide graduate degrees in selected disciplines;
- provide discipline-specific courses which support attainment of knowledge and skills that enable effective active lifestyle choices;
- provide professional service to undergraduate students, the University community, allied groups, organizations and practitioners; and
- conduct theoretical and applied research that contributes to the body of knowledge in each discipline.