COVID-19 Study Description
You are being asked to participate in a research study to better understand the long-term health effects of COVID-19.
This study is a collaboration between the MMPL, NCCL, and ERPL laboratories at Appalachian State University in the Department of Health and Exercise Science.
These study procedures will take place at Leon Levine Hall, 1179 State Farm Rd, Boone, NC 28607.
You will first be screened for this study to determine if your eligible for this study.
We are looking for:
- Males and females (18-65 years old)
- Relatively healthy individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 4 weeks
- Females who are pre-menopausal
We are not looking for:
- Orthopedically impaired individuals with limited handgrip or knee range of motion
- Pregnant females or females trying to become pregnant
- Post-menopausal females
- Chronically diseased individuals, including cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary or metabolic diseases (examples: diabetes, diagnosed hypertension, pulmonary arterial disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or heart failure)
- Individuals taking medication that might control their blood pressure or heart rate.
We would like you to come in for a series of visits over the next 6 months. Each month, we would like you to come in for 2 visits (one visit to test your exercise ability and another day to test your lung, blood vessel, and nerve function). The last 2 months will only invovle blood vessel and nerve testing one visit each month.
- Exercise Testing. We will have you ride a bike (for up to 20 minutes) with increasing intensity until you decide to stop.
- Lung Testing. The lung testing will involve short forceful breathing.
- Blood Vessel Testing. We will move your leg up to 1 minute and measure the blood flow response using non-invasive techniques. We will also put a blood pressure cuff around the arm for 5 minutes. After we release the cuff, we will noninvasively measure the increase in blood flow to the arm.
- Nerve Testing. We will test your nerve activity using a small electrode in the side of your knee that may cause some pins and needles sensations. We will ask you to do some light handgrip exercise to increase blood flow into your arm.
- Blood Draw. We will do a blood draw enough for one small vial to measure the levels of inflammation in your blood stream.
Your involvement in this study will hopefully inform the scientific and medical community of the long-term health effects of having COVID-19.
We would be happy to answer any other questions you have regarding the tests, availability to testing times and locations, or any other aspects of the study.
We would like to begin the study with you 2-4 weeks after your positive COVID-19 test.
We would like you to take up to one month since you were diagnosed with COVID-19 to consider involvement in the study before consenting to participate.
Please fill out the fields below if you would like to contacted for consideration in the study: