- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, 1995
Major: Physiology of Exercise
Ph.D. Dissertation: The Effects of Exercise-Related Peptide F Elevation on Human B-Cell Activation
- M.S., Appalachian State University, 1989
Major: Exercise Science
- B.S., Wake Forest University, 1987
Major: Health & Sport Science
- Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Strength and Conditioning
- Neuromuscular and Endocrine Exercise Physiology
- Aging and Physical Activity
- Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Strength and Conditioning (Graduate and Undergraduate level)
- Survey of Sport Performance (Graduate and Undergraduate level)
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- American College of Sports Medicine (1987-2018)
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (1988-1989)
- Certified Phlebotomist; General Venipuncture/Catheterization
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (1988-present)
- President of the Board of Directors, 2018-2021
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist with Distinction
- USA Weightlifting (1992-present)
- Certified Level 1 Coach
- Resistance Training in Elderly:
- Strength and Power Development
- Balance and Functional Ability Improvements
- Bone and Muscle Tissue Adaptations
- Neuromuscular Aspects of Strength and Power
Books and Chapters in Books
- Triplett, N.T. and Lloyd, R.S. Power Training for Different Populations. NSCA’s Developing Power (M. McGuigan, ed.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp. 63-82, 2017.
- Triplett, N.T. and Stone, M.E. The Female Athlete. Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation: Integrating Science and Medicine for High Performance (D. Joyce and D. Lewindon, eds.), Routledge, Oxfordshire, UK, pp.429-435, 2016.
- Haff, G.G. and Triplett, N.T. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (editors). Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2016.
- Triplett, N.T. Structure and Function of Body Systems. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (G.G. Haff and N.T. Triplett, eds.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp. 1-18, 2016.
- Sheppard, J.M. and Triplett, N.T. Program Design for Resistance Training. NSCA’s Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 4th edition (G.G. Haff and N.T. Triplett, eds.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp.439-470, 2016.
Journal Articles (last 5 years)
1. Chapman M, Larumbe-Zabala E, Goss-Sampson M, Triplett NT, and Naclerio F. Using perceptual and neuromuscular responses to estimate mechanical changes during continuous sets in the bench press. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2018 (accepted February 2018).
2. Chapman M, Larumbe-Zabala E, Goss-Sampson M, Colpus M, Triplett NT, and Naclerio F. Perceptual, mechanical, and electromyographic responses to different relative loads in the parallel squat. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 33(1), 8-16, 2019.
3. Cunanan AJ, DeWeese BH, Wagle JP, Carroll KM, Sausaman R, Hornsby III WG, Haff GG, Triplett NT, Pierce KC, and Stone MH. The general adaptation syndrome: A foundation for the concept of periodization. Sports Medicine 48(4), 787-797, 2018.
4. Painter KB, Haff GG, Triplett NT, Stuart C, Hornsby G, Ramsey MW, Bazyler CD, and Stone MH. Resting hormone alterations and injuries: Block vs. DUP weight-training among D-1 track and field athletes. Sports 6(3), 1-15, 2018.
5. Carroll KM, Sato K, Bazyler CD, Triplett NT, and Stone MH. Increases in variation of barbell kinematics are observed with increasing intensity in a graded back squat test. Sports 5(3), 2-7, 2017.
6. Carroll KM, Sato K, Beckham GK, Triplett NT, Griggs CV, and Stone MH. Relationship between concentric velocities at varying intensity in the back squat using a wireless inertial sensor. Journal of Trainology 6(1), 9-12, 2017.
7. Rice PE, Goodman CL, Capps CR, Triplett NT, Erickson TM, and McBride JM. Force- and power-time curve comparison during jumping between strength-matched male and female basketball players. European Journal of Sport Science 17(3), 286-293, 2017.
8. Caldwell KL, Bergman SM, Collier SR, Triplett NT, Quin R, Bergquist J, and Pieper CF. Effects of tai chi chuan on anxiety and sleep quality in young adults: Lessons from a randomized controlled feasibility study. Nature and Science of Sleep 8, 305-314, 2016.
9. South MA, Layne AS, Stuart CA, Triplett NT, Ramsey M, Howell ME, Sands WA, Mizuguchi S, Hornsby III WG, Kavanaugh AA, and Stone MH. Effects of short-term free-weight and semiblock periodization resistance training on metabolic syndrome. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(10), 2682-2696, 2016.
10. Borreani S, Calatayud J, Colado JC, Moya-Nájera D, Triplett NT, and Martin F. Muscle activation during push-ups performed in stable and unstable conditions. Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness 13(2), 94-98, 2015.
11. Naclerio F, Chapman M, Larumbe-Zabala E, Massey B, Neil A, and Triplett NT. Effects of three different conditioning activity volumes on the optimal recovery time for potentiation in college athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(9), 2579-2585, 2015.
12. Kijowski KN, Capps CR, Goodman CL, Erickson TM, Knorr DP, Triplett NT, Awelewa OO, and McBride JM. Short-term resistance and plyometric training improves eccentric phase kinetics in jumping. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(8), 2186-2196, 2015.
13. Kraemer WJ, Gordon SE, Fragala MS, Bush JA, Szivak TK, Flanagan SD, Hooper DR, Looney DP, Triplett NT, DuPont WH, Dziados JE, Marchitelli LJ, and Patton JF. The effects of exercise training programs on plasma concentrations of proenkephalin Peptide F and catecholamines. Peptides 64, 74-81, 2015.
Title: Professor, PhD, Physiology of Exercise, Exercise Science Undergraduate Program Director, Graduate Faculty
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7148
Fax: (828) 262-3138