- BA, Athletic Training, University of North Carolina, Wilmington, 2003
- MS, Sport Studies, High Point University, 2006
- MPA, Public Management, Appalachian State University, 2011
- Capstone Project: Physical Activity Promotion in Urban Areas – Content Analysis of the Nine Largest Metropolitan Parks and Recreation Departments in North Carolina
- PhD, Community Health Education, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, 2015
- Dissertation: The Relationship between Long-Haul Truck Drivers' Work Organization and Body Mass Index (BMI), Waist Circumference, and Cardio-Metabolic Disease Risk
- Community Health (PH 3250)
- Health Policy, Ethics & Law (PH 4600)
- Health Behavior Change (HP 3700)
- Health Program Planning and Evaluation (HP 2100)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE)
- North Carolina Society for Public Health Education (NC SOPHE)
- North Carolina Public Health Association (NCPHA)
- SHAPE America (SHAPE)
- Occupational/Worksite health and safety
- Health disparities among rural communities
- Community-based participatory research
Peer-Reviewed Publications (Published or In press)
Lemke, M.K., Hege, A., Apostolopoulos, Y., Wideman, L., Sönmez, S. (In press). Work and Sleep among Transport Operators: Disparities and Implications for Safety. Journal of Transport and Health.
Hege, A., Lemke, M., Apostolopoulos, Y., Perko, M., Sönmez, S., Strack, R. (2017). U.S. Long-Haul Truck Driver Work Organization and the Association with Cardiometabolic Disease Risk. Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 72(5): 303-310.
Lemke, M.K., Apostolopoulos, Y., Hege, A., Wideman, L., Sönmez, S., Muhammad, S. (2017). Work Organization, Sleep, and Metabolic Syndrome among Long-Haul Truck Drivers. Occupational Medicine, 67(4): 274-281.
Lemke, M.K., Apostolopoulos, Y., Hege, A., Wideman, L., Sönmez, S., Muhammad, S. (2017). Work, Sleep, and Cholesterol Levels of U.S. Long-Haul Truck Drivers. Industrial Health, 55(2): 149-161.
Apostolopoulos, Y., Lemke, M.K., Hege, A., Sang, H., Sönmez, S., Wideman, L., Oberlin, D.J. (2016). Work and Chronic Disease: Comparison of Cardiometabolic Risk Markers Between Truck Drivers and the General U.S. Population. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 58(11), 1098-1105.
Lemke, M.K., Apostolopoulos, Y, Hege, A., Sönmez, S., Wideman, L. (2016). Understanding the Role of Sleep Quality and Sleep Duration in Commercial Driving Safety. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 97, 79-86.
Hege, A., Perko, M., Apostolopoulos, Y., Sönmez, S., Strack, R. (2016). U.S. Long-Haul Truck Driver Health Demands Integrated Approach. International Journal of Workplace Health Management, 9(4), 378-397.
Hege, A., Perko, M., Apostolopoulos, Y., Sönmez, S., Strack, R. (2016). The Work Organization of Long-Haul Truck Drivers and the Association with Body Mass Index (BMI). Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 58(7), 712-717.
Apostolopoulos, Y., Lemke, M. K., Sönmez, S., & Hege, A. (2016). The obesogenic environment of commercial trucking: A worksite environmental audit and implications for systems-based interventions. American Journal of Health Education, 47(2), 85-93.
Apostolopoulos, Y., Sönmez, S., Hege, A, & Lemke, M. K. (2016). Work Strain, Social Isolation and Mental Health of Long-Haul Truckers. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 32(1), 50-69.
Hege, A., Vallejos, Q. M., Apostolopoulos, Y., & Lemke, M. K. (2015). Health disparities of Latino immigrant workers in the United States. International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care, 11(4), 282-298.
Lemke, M., Hege, A., Perko, M., Sönmez, S., Apostolopoulos, Y. (2015). Work patterns, sleeping hours and excess weight in commercial drivers. Occupational Medicine, 65(9), 725-731.
Hege, A., Perko, M., Johnson, A., Yu, C.H., Sönmez, S., Apostolopoulos, Y. (2015). Surveying the impact of work hours and schedules on commercial motor vehicle driver sleep. Safety and Health at Work, 6(2), 104-113.
Understanding and addressing food insecurity, social determinants of health and quality of life in the rural Appalachia region of North Carolina
Exploring the role of work in relation to health disparities and safety outcomes of U.S. long-haul truck drivers
Title: Assistant Professor, PhD, Public Health Education, Graduate Faculty
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7201
Fax: (828) 262-3138