Student Learning Outcomes
Retention and Graduation Rates
Graduate Placement of Appalachian State University Athletic Training Graduates
Employed as Athletic Trainer
Enlisted in Military
Employed, other than as Athletic Trainer
Employed as Student
BOC Examination Results
- 2017-2020 First Time Pass Rate: 69%
- 2017-2020 Overall Pass Rate: 86%
Number of students graduating from program
Number of students graduating from program who took examination
Number of students who passed the examination on the first attempt
Percentage of students who passed the examination on the first attempt
Number of students who passed the examination regardless of the number of attempts
Percentage of students who passed the examination regardless of the number of attempts
Student Learning Outcomes
Goal 1: Demonstrate knowledge, skills, behaviors and attitudes to achieve optimal health outcomes in diverse patient populations.
- 1.1: Students will synthesize content required for clinical decision-making.
- 1.2: Students will develop the knowledge and skills to provide quality patient care for individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds in an equitable, effective and respectful manner.
- 1.3: Students will demonstrate patient-centered clinical decision-making with progressing independence as they transition to practice.
Goal 2: Become highly qualified Athletic Trainers engaged in critical thinking and scientific inquiry to advance their knowledge and capacity for evidence-based practice.
- 2.1: Students will describe the contributions of clinical expertise, patient values, and available research towards decision making within clinical settings.
- 2.2: Students will develop and answer focused clinical questions in a thorough and systematic manner using both pre-existing evidence and original discovery.
- 2.3: Students will implement care plans for patients that are guided by all components of evidence-based practice.
- 2.4: Students will participate in the dissemination of clinically relevant scholarship.
Goal 3: Incorporate information and communication technologies integral in today’s healthcare industry into clinical decision-making, patient care, and healthcare systems evaluation and improvement.
- 3.1: Students will apply current laws and regulations regarding healthcare communications.
- 3.2: Students will utilize an electronic health record for documentation of patient evaluation, care, and outcomes.
- 3.3: Students will apply contemporary principles and practices of health informatics to the administration and delivery of patient care.
Goal 4: Work as valued members of interprofessional practice teams.
- 4.1: Students will explain the different roles, expertise, and responsibilities of healthcare professionals.
- 4.2: Students will communicate effectively and respectfully with peers and other healthcare professionals.
- 4.3: Students will utilize an effective and reflective teamwork approach to provide patient-centered care.
Goal 5: Become an engaged and responsible member of the community through ethical professional conduct, and reflective, on-going self-evaluation and professional development.
- 5.1: Students will demonstrate professional demeanor by interacting appropriately with patients, healthcare providers, and colleagues and make sound decisions.
- 5.2: Students will be actively engaged in their professional development and be able to self-assess and plan for their personal goals and professional practice.